Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Shared library versioning
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-29 07:45:00

On Jul 28, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> > - support files are not versioned (e.g., show_help text files)
> > - include files are not versioned (e.g., mpi.h)
> > - OMPI's DSOs actually are versioned, but more work would be needed
> > in this area to make that versioning scheme work in real world
> > scenarios
> > - ...and probably some other things that I'm not thinking of...
>
> You can probably solve most of these issues by just versioning the
> directory names where you put the files; and with some luck, some
> downstream distribution can achieve this by merely passing a bunch of
> --foodir=... options to configure.

This is probably true -- we do obey all the Autoconf-specified
directories, so overriding --foodir= should work. It may break things
like mpirun --prefix behavior, though. But I think that the
executables would be problematic -- you'd only have 1 mpirun, orted,
etc. OMPI does *not* currently handle the Autoconf --program-*
configure options properly. I confess to not recalling the specific
issues, but I recall we had long discussions about them -- the issues
are quite tangled and complicated. And I remember coming to the
conclusion "not worth supporting those."

FWIW, Chris is probably right that it's far easier to simply install
different OMPI versions into different $prefix trees (IMHO).