Subject: [OMPI devel] Shared library versioning
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-23 17:53:45

We have talked many times about doing proper versioning for OMPI's .so
libraries (e.g., libmpi.so -- *not* our component DSOs). After
reading up on the Libtool recommendations on how to do this, I have
added a the relevant stuff to the relevant Makefile.am's, and also
added a small convenience function in configure.ac to read the
desired .so versions from the top-level VERSION file. See https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/changeset/21729
. I'm CMR'ed this to v1.3 for the next release.

>>> If you care about this stuff, please read the attached 3 pages
snipped from the GNU Libtool 2.2.6a docs.

All prior versions of OMPI have been released with 0:0:0 (since we
didn't specify, LT defaulted to 0:0:0 for us). So starting with
OMPI's next release, the RMs will update these numbers as appropriate.

** NOTE: The .so version numbers are ONLY relevant for released OMPI
tarballs. They are not relevant for the SVN trunk or developer
branches. Therefore:

- The .so versions on the trunk (and developer branches) will always
remain 0:0:0.
- The RM is responsible for updating the .so version numbers according
to a short list of rules immediately prior to each OMPI release.