Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] autodetect broken
From: Iain Bason (Iain.Bason_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-21 19:13:53

On Jul 21, 2009, at 6:34 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> I'm quite confused about what this component did to the base
> functions. I haven't had a chance to digest it properly, but it
> "feels wrong"... Iain -- can you please explain the workings of
> this component and its interactions with the base?

The autodetect component gets loaded after the environment component,
and before the config component. So environment variables like
OPAL_PREFIX will override it.

When it loads, it finds the directory containing libopen-pal.so
(assuming that is where the autodetect component actually is) and sets
its install_dirs_data.libdir to that. The other fields of
install_dirs_data are set to "${infer-libdir}". So when the base
component loads autodetect, and no environment variables have set any
of the fields, opal_install_dirs.everything_except_libdir is set to "$
{infer-libdir}".

(If the autodetect component is statically linked into an application,
then it will set bindir rather than libdir.)

The base component looks for fields set to "${infer-foo}", and calls
opal_install_dirs_infer to figure out what the field should be. For
example, if opal_install_dirs.prefix is set to "${infer-libdir}", then
it calls opal_install_dirs_infer("prefix", "libdir}", 6, &component-
>install_dirs_data).

Opal_install_dirs_infer expands everything in component-
>install_dirs_data.libdir *except* "${prefix}". Let's say that ompi
was configured so that libdir is "${prefix}/lib", and the actual path
to libopen-pal.so is /usr/local/lib/libopen-pal.so. The autodetect
component will have set opal_install_dirs.libdir to "/usr/local/lib".
It matches the tail of "${prefix}/lib" to "/usr/local/lib", and infers
that the remainder must be the prefix, so it sets
opal_install_dirs.prefix to "/usr/local".

Other directories (e.g., pkgdatadir) presumably cannot be inferred
from libdir, and opal_install_dirs_infer will return NULL. The config
component will then load some value into that field, and things will
work as they did before.

Iain