Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [RFC] Move the datatype engine in the OPAL layer
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-07-09 07:08:24

Two comments:

> Why : ... Second
> reason, is that now the data-type engine (without all the MPI
> knowledge) is available to other projects.

We're still only shipping Open MPI as a whole as our official product,
right? More specifically: we're not intending to ship OPAL
independently, right? If other projects want to pick up OPAL
themselves and use it (e.g., via SVN checkouts, Mercurial clones,
official OMPI tarballs, etc.), that's fine. But I'd be opposed to
creating a 2nd official distribution that was OPAL-only.

> Performance tests on the ompi-ddt branch have proven that there is no
> performance penalties associated with this change (tests done using
> NetPipe-3.7.1 on smoky using BTL/sm, giving 1.6usecs on this
> platform).

1.6us sounds like pretty high sm latency... Is this a slow platform?

Cisco Systems