Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] why does --rankfile need hostlist?
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-18 21:09:43

The two files have a slightly different format and completely different
meaning. The hostfile specifies how many slots are on a node. The rankfile
specifies a rank and what node/slot it is to be mapped onto.
Rankfiles can use relative node indexing and refer to nodes received from a
resource manager - i.e., without any hostfile.

So the files are intentionally quite different. Trying to combine them would
be rather ugly.
Ralph