Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Intel C (icc) 11.0.083 compile problem
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-17 16:39:59

Jeff Squyres wrote:
[snip]
> Erm -- that's weird. So when you extract the tarballs,
> atomic-amd64-linux.s is non-empty (as it should be), but after a
> failed build, it's file length 0?
>
> Notice that during the build process, we sym link atomic-amd64-linux.s
> to atomic-asm.S (I see that happening in your build output as well).
> So if the compiler is barfing when compiling atomic-asm.S, perhaps
> it's also wiping out the file...? That would be darn weird, though...
[snip]

Hmm. Not a solution to the original problem, but might I suggest that
any case where the build might over-write a source file is a serious
problem. Two possible ways come to mind to address that:
1) Either the configure or make process might write-protect the source
file at some time prior to making the symlink.
2) The make process could copy, rather than symlink, the file (w/ a
dependency that would trigger a re-copy if the source file is updated).

The write-protect approach has the advantage that it would let us see a
make failure at the point that something is trying (erroneously) to
write/truncate the file.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group                 Tel: +1-510-495-2352
HPC Research Department                   Fax: +1-510-486-6900
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory