Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [RFC] Low pressure OPAL progress
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 11:31:39

I'll throw in my random $0.02. I'm at the Forum this week, so my
latency on replies here will likely be large.

1. Ashley is correct that we shouldn't sleep. A better solution would
be to block waiting for something to happen (rather than spin). As
Terry mentioned, we pretty much know how to do this -- it's just that
no one has done it yet. The full solution would then be: if we spin
for a while (probably MCA-param settable) with nothing happening,
switch to the blocking mode and continue waiting. I'm happy to pass
on the information on how we've imagined that this should be done, if
you want.

2. Note that your solution presupposes that one MPI process can detect
that the entire job is deadlocked. This is not quite correct. What
exactly do you want to detect -- that one process may be imbalanced on
its receives (waiting for long periods of time without doing
anything), or that the entire job is deadlocked? The former may be ok
-- it depends on the app. If the latter, it requires a bit more work
-- e.g., if one process detects that nothing has happened for a long
time, it can initiate a collective/distributed deadlock detection
algorithm with all the other MPI processes in the job. Only if *all*
processes agree, then you can say "this job is deadlocked, we might as
well abort." IIRC, there are some 3rd party tools / libraries that do
this kind of stuff...? (although it might be cool / useful to
incorporate some of this technology into OMPI itself)

3. As Ralph noted, how exactly do you know when "nothing happens for a
long time" is a bad thing? a) some codes are structured that way --
that they'll have no MPI activity for a long time, even if they have
pending non-blocking receives pre-posted. b) are you looking within
the scope of *one* MPI blocking call? I.e., if nothing happens
*within the span of one blocking MPI call*, or are you looking if
nothing happens across successive calls to opal_progress() (which may
be few and far between after OMPI hits steady state when using non-TCP
networks)? It seems like there would need to be a [thread safe]
"reset" at some point -- indicating that something has happened. That
either would be when something has happened, or that a blocking MPI
call has exited, or ....? Need to make sure that that "reset" doesn't
get expensive.

4. Note, too, that opal_progress() doesn't see *all* progress - the
openib BTL doesn't use opal_progress to know when OpenFabrics messages
arrive, for example.

Cisco Systems