Open MPI logo

Open MPI Development Mailing List Archives

  |   Home   |   Support   |   FAQ   |   all Development mailing list

Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [RFC] Low pressure OPAL progress
From: Sylvain Jeaugey (sylvain.jeaugey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-09 10:20:11


On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Ralph Castain wrote:

> 2. instead of putting things to sleep or even adjusting the loop rate, you might want to consider using the orte_notifier
> capability and notify the system that the job may be stalled. Or perhaps adding an API to the orte_errmgr framework to
> notify it that nothing has been received for awhile, and let people implement different strategies for detecting what might
> be "wrong" and what they want to do about it.
Great remark. What is really needed here is the information of "nothing
received for X minutes". Just having the information somewhere should be
sufficient. We often see users asking if their application is still
progressing, and this should answer their questions. This would also
address the need of administrators to stop deadlocked runs during the
night.

I guess I'll redirect my work on this and couple it with our current
effort on logging and administration tools coupling.

Thanks a lot guys !

Sylvain

> My point with this second bullet is that there are other response options than hardwiring putting the process to sleep. You
> could let someone know so a human can decide what, if anything, to do about it, or provide a hook so that people can
> explore/utilize different response strategies...or both!
>
> HTH
> Ralph
>
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Sylvain Jeaugey <sylvain.jeaugey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I understand your point of view, and mostly share it.
>
> I think the biggest point in my example is that sleep occurs only after (I was wrong in my previous e-mail) 10
> minutes of inactivity, and this value is fully configurable. I didn't intend to call sleep after 2 seconds.
> Plus, as said before, I planned to have the library do show_help() when this happens (something like : "Open
> MPI couldn't receive a message for 10 minutes, lowering pressure") so that the application that really needs
> more than 10 minutes to receive a message can increase it.
>
> Looking at the tick rate code, I couldn't see how changing it would make CPU usage drop. If I understand
> correctly your e-mail, you block in the kernel using poll(), is that right ? So, you may well loose 10 us
> because of that kernel call, but this is a lot less than the 1 ms I'm currently loosing with usleep. This makes
> sense - although being hard to implement since all btl must have this ability.
>
> Thanks for your comments, I will continue to think about it.
>
> Sylvain
>
>
> On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Ralph Castain wrote:
>
> My concern with any form of sleep is with the impact on the proc - since opal_progress might not be
> running in a separate thread, won't the sleep apply to the process as a whole? In that case, the process
> isn't free to continue computing.
>
> I can envision applications that might call down into the MPI library and have opal_progress not find
> anything, but there is nothing wrong. The application could continue computations just fine. I would hate
> to see us put the process to sleep just because the MPI library wasn't busy enough.
>
> Hence my suggestion to just change the tick rate. It would definitely cause a higher latency for the
> first message that arrived while in this state, which is bothersome, but would meet the stated objective
> without interfering with the process itself.
>
> LANL has also been looking at this problem of stalled jobs, but from a different approach. We monitor
> (using a separate job) progress in terms of output files changing in size plus other factors as specified
> by the user. If we don't see any progress in those terms over some time, then we kill the job. We chose
> that path because of the concerns expressed above - e.g., on our RR machine, intense computations can be
> underway on the Cell blades while the Opteron MPI processes wait for us to reach a communication point.
> We -want- those processes spinning away so that, when the comm starts, it can proceed as quickly as
> possible.
>
> Just some thoughts...
> Ralph
>
>
> On Jun 9, 2009, at 5:28 AM, Terry Dontje wrote:
>
> Sylvain Jeaugey wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> I'm entirely convinced that MPI doesn't have to save power in a normal scenario.
> The idea is just that if an MPI process is blocked (i.e. has not performed
> progress for -say- 5 minutes (default in my implementation), we stop busy polling
> and have the process drop from 100% CPU usage to 0%.
>
> I do not call sleep() but usleep(). The result if quite the same, but is less
> hurting performance in case of (unexpected) restart.
>
> However, the goal of my RFC was also to know if there was a more clean way to
> achieve my goal, and from what I read, I guess I should look at the "tick" rate
> instead of trying to do my own delaying.
>
> One way around this is to make all blocked communications (even SM) to use poll to block for
> incoming messages.  Jeff and I have discussed this and had many false starts on it.  The
> biggest issue is coming up with a way to have blocks on the SM btl converted to the system
> poll call without requiring a socket write for every packet.
>
> The usleep solution works but is kind of ugly IMO.  I think when I looked at doing that the
> overhead increased signifcantly for certain communications.  Maybe not for toy benchmarks but
> for less synchronized processes I saw the usleep adding overhead where I didn't want it too.
>
> --td
> Don't worry, I was quite expecting the configure-in requirement. However, I don't
> think my patch is good for inclusion, it is only an example to describe what I
> want to achieve.
>
> Thanks a lot for your comments,
> Sylvain
>
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2009, Ralph Castain wrote:
>
> I'm not entirely convinced this actually achieves your goals, but I
> can see some potential benefits. I'm also not sure that power
> consumption is that big of an issue that MPI needs to begin chasing
> "power saver" modes of operation, but that can be a separate debate
> some day.
>
> I'm assuming you don't mean that you actually call "sleep()" as this
> would be very bad - I'm assuming you just change the opal_progress
> "tick" rate instead. True? If not, and you really call "sleep", then
> I would have to oppose adding this to the code base pending
> discussion with others who can corroborate that this won't cause
> problems.
>
> Either way, I could live with this so long as it was done as a
> "configure-in" capability. Just having the params default to a value
> that causes the system to behave similarly to today isn't enough - we
> still wind up adding logic into a very critical timing loop for no
> reason. A simple configure option of --enable-mpi-progress-monitoring
> would be sufficient to protect the code.
>
> HTH
> Ralph
>
>
> On Jun 8, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Sylvain Jeaugey wrote:
>
> What : when nothing has been received for a very long
> time - e.g. 5 minutes, stop busy polling in opal_progress
> and switch to a usleep-based one.
>
> Why : when we have long waits, and especially when an
> application is deadlock'ed, detecting it is not easy and
> a lot of power is wasted until the end of the time slice
> (if there is one).
>
> Where : an example of how it could be implemented is
> available at
> http://bitbucket.org/jeaugeys/low-pressure-opal-progress/
>
> Principle
> =========
>
> opal_progress() ensures the progression of MPI
> communication. The current algorithm is a loop calling
> progress on all registered components. If the program is
> blocked, the loop will busy-poll indefinetely.
>
> Going to sleep after a certain amount of time with
> nothing received is interesting for two things :
> - Administrator can easily detect whether a job is
> deadlocked : all the processes are in sleep(). Currently,
> all processors are using 100% cpu and it is very hard to
> know if progression is still happening or not.
> - When there is nothing to receive, power usage is highly
> reduced.
>
> However, it could hurt performance in some cases,
> typically if we go to sleep just before the message
> arrives. This will highly depend on the parameters you
> give to the sleep mechanism.
>
> At first, we can start with the following assumption : if
> the sleep takes T usec, then sleeping after 10000xT
> should slow down Receives by a factor less than 0.01 %.
>
> However, other processes may suffer from you being late,
> and be delayed by T usec (which may represent more than
> 0.01% for them).
>
> So, the goal of this mechanism is mainly to detect
> far-too-long-waits and should quite never be used in
> normal MPI jobs. It could also trigger a warning message
> when starting to sleep, or at least a trace in the
> notifier.
>
> Details of Implementation
> =========================
>
> Three parameters fully control the behaviour of this
> mechanism :
> * opal_progress_sleep_count : number of unsuccessful
> opal_progress() calls before we start the timer (to
> prevent latency impact). It defaults to -1, which
> completely deactivates the sleep (and is therefore
> equivalent to the former code). A value of 1000 can be
> thought of as a starting point to enable this mechanism.
> * opal_progress_sleep_trigger : time to wait before going
> to low-pressure-powersave mode. Default : 600 (in
> seconds) = 10 minutes.
> * opal_progress_sleep_duration : time we sleep at each
> further unsuccessful call to opal_progress(). Default :
> 1000 (in us) = 1 ms.
>
> The duration is big enough to make the process show 0%
> CPU in top, but low enough to preserve a good
> trigger/duration ratio.
>
> The trigger is voluntary high to keep a good
> trigger/duration ratio. Indeed, to prevent delays from
> causing chain reactions, trigger should be higher than
> duration * numprocs.
>
> Possible Improvements & Pitfalls
> ================================
>
> * Trigger could be set automatically at max(trigger,
> duration * numprocs * 2).
>
> * poll_start and poll_count could be fields of the
> opal_condition_t struct.
>
> * The sleep section may be exported in a #define and
> reported in all the progress pathes (I'm not sure my
> patch is good for progress threads for example)
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
> _______________________________________________
> devel mailing list
> devel_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/devel
>
>
>
>