Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] opal / fortran / Flogical
From: Rainer Keller (keller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-06-03 13:58:02

Hello,
On Wednesday 03 June 2009 12:58:50 pm Iain Bason wrote:
> > no, that's not an issue. The comment is correct: For any Fortran
> > integer*kind we need to have _some_ C-representation as well, otherwise we
> > disregard the type (tm), see e.g. the old and resolved ticket #1094.
> > The representation chosen is set in opal/util/arch.c and is
> > conclusive as far as I can tell...
> Doesn't that mean that the comment is misleading? I interpret it as
> saying that a Fortran "default integer" is always the same as a C
> "int". I believe that you are saying that it really means that *any*
> kind of Fortran integer must be the same as one of C's integral types,
> or OpenMPI won't support it at all. Shouldn't the comment be clearer?
Yes, the comment (actually in opal/util/arch.h -- not arch.c) while being
correct IMHO, one could clarify it.
Here we are talking about Fortran's INTEGER vs. C's int. Now, the comment
should say:

** The Fortran INTEGER is dismissed here, since there is no
** platform known to me, were Fortran INTEGER does not match any
** of the C-integral types.

With best regards,
Rainer

Rainer Keller, PhD                  Tel: +1 (865) 241-6293
Oak Ridge National Lab          Fax: +1 (865) 241-4811
PO Box 2008 MS 6164           Email: keller_at_[hidden]
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-2008    AIM/Skype: rusraink