Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] XML stdout/stderr
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-26 07:42:48

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Greg Watson <g.watson_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> In life, nothing is ever easy...

:-)

> While the XML output is working well, I've come across an issue with
> stdout/stderr. Unfortunately it's not just enough to wrap it in tags,
> because it's possible that the output will contain XML formatting
> information. There are two ways to get around this. The easiest is to wrap
> the output in "<![CDATA[" and "]]>". This has the benefit of being
> relatively easy, but will fail if the output contains the string "]]>". The
> other way is to replace all instances of "&", "<", and ">" with "&amp;",
> "&lt;", and "&gt;" respectively. This is safer, but requires more
> processing.
>
> Thoughts?

"Ick" immediately comes to mind, but is hardly helpful. :-)

I am already doing some processing to deal with linefeeds in the middle of
output streams, so adding these three special chars isn't -that- big a deal.
I can have a test version for you in the next day or so (svn trunk) - I am
on reduced hours while moving my son (driving across country).

Let's give that a try and see if it resolves the problem...