Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Build failures on trunk? r21235
From: Ashley Pittman (ashley_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-14 15:11:24

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 19:46 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ashley, did you rebootstrap with Debian's Libtool?

I'm not sure I understand the question, I did a fresh checkout and
re-ran ./autogen.sh if that's what you mean.

> They enable link_all_deplibs=no in their Libtool

That appears to the the case.

> which changes some
> things and can cause issues like this. Can't hurt to open a Debian
> bug report about it (targeted against libtool) so they know this issue
> exists.
>
> Can you try working around it by setting link_all_deplibs to "yes",
> then rebuilding all the libraries? Like this, done in the top build
> directory with your current build tree:
> find . -name libtool | xargs \
> sed -i 's/^\(link_all_deplibs=\).*/&no/'
> find . -name \*.la | xargs ./libtool --mode=clean rm -f
> make

Moving back in the install dir which luckily I still had lying around
and re-compiling did work so I assume you are correct.

> If that does not work, then I'd be very interested in what the failure
> would look at that point.
>
> A more permanent workaround could be in OpenMPI to list each library
> that is used *directly* by some other library as a dependency. Sigh.

Would it be this or would it be listing library's which are used
directly by some other library and are distributed as part of OpenMPI.
Sounds slightly more sensible when you phrase it like that.

> Or fix Debian Libtool.

My naive view here is that link_all_deplibs=no sounds like a sensible
default as the linker should do the right thing if they aren't named.
It sounds to me like Brians suggestion of stating a dependency from
libmpi.la to libopen-pal.la might have more miles in it.

That still doesn't explain why my link line didn't show either being
linked and Geoff sees both however.

I'll keep the code here lying around in case you want me to perform
further tests.

Ashley,