Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Revise paffinity method?
From: Brian W. Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-05-06 11:09:29

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Ralph Castain wrote:

> Any thoughts on this? Should we change it?

Yes, we should change this (IMHO) :).

> If so, who wants to be involved in the re-design? I'm pretty sure it would
> require some modification of the paffinity framework, plus some minor mods to
> the odls framework and (since you cannot bind a process other than yourself)
> addition of a new small "proxy" script that would bind-then-exec each process
> started by the orted (Eugene posted a candidate on the user list, though we
> will have to deal with some system-specific issues in it).

I can't contribute a whole lot of time, but I'd be happy to lurk, offer
advice, and write some small bits of code. But I definitely can't lead.

Fist offering of opinion from me. I think we can avoid the "proxy" script
by doing the binding after the fork but before the exec. This will
definitely require minor changes to the odls and probably a bunch of
changes to the paffinity framework. This will make things slightly less
fragile than a script would, and yet get us what we want.

Brian