Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Inherent limit on #communicators?
From: Brian W. Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-30 14:36:34

When we added the CM PML, we added a pml_max_contextid field to the PML
structure, which is the max size cid the PML can handle (because the
matching interfaces don't allow 32 bits to be used for the cid. At the
same time, the max cid for OB1 was shrunk significantly, so that the
header on a short message would be packed tightly with no alignment
padding.

At the time, we believed 32k simultaneous communicators was plenty, and
that CIDs were reused (we checked, I'm pretty sure). It sounds like
someone removed the CID reuse code, which seems rather bad to me. There
have to be unused CIDs in Ralph's example - is there a way to fallback out
of the block algorithm when it can't find a new CID and find one it can
reuse? Other than setting the multi-threaded case back on, that is?

Brian