Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] predefined ompi_t types break strict-aliasing rules
From: Number Cruncher (number.cruncher_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-30 08:07:19

Following the discussion about ABI compatibility and type-punning of non
client-visible types, I've attached a patch against 1.3.2 which casts to
an opaque (void *) when OMPI_BUILDING is 0.

This will prevent the compiler from trying to do any strict-aliasing
based optimizations when the definition of the type to cast to is unknown.

When builing Open MPI, the (void *) cast is omitted (because of the
compiler flag "-DOMPI_BUILDING=1") and the code remains as before.

This clears up all warnings for my GCC 4.1 compiler.

Simon.