Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] event library
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-04-03 09:10:27

Correct. We use the event library (a customized drop of libevent) for
three main things:

1. monitoring file descriptors
2. scheduling timed callbacks (i.e., you can set a callback to fire at
some point in the future)
3. monitoring signals

You can register a callback to occur when these events happen. For
signals, your callback will be called in regular context, not signal
context.

Orte uses #2 heavily, for example, to "schedule" things to happen
outside of the current context. E.g., a message just arrived. But we
don't want to process it in the middle of a callback from the fd read
event, so ORTE will schedule an event 0 seconds from now. That
callback will then occur from the "top level" and not create a nasty
daisy chain of callbacks invoking callbacks. And so on.

Make sense?

On Apr 3, 2009, at 6:36 AM, Timothy Hayes wrote:

> Do you mean the code in OPAL/event? If so, it's a customised
> libevent. I've seen it used in OpenMPI to poll/select open sockets,
> it allows the programmer register their own callback functions for
> when this happens. Just ignore me if this wasn't what you were
> asking about though :-)
>
> Tim
>
> 2009/4/3 Eugene Loh <Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden]>
> What is the purpose of the event library? I'd happily RTFM if
> someone could point me in that direction! :^)
>
> I'm guessing it's to check occasionally for "unexpected events", but
> if someone could confirm/deny and flesh that picture out a little,
> I'd appreciate it.

Cisco Systems