Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] SM init failures
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-27 23:09:30

Paul H. Hargrove wrote:

> Quoting from a different manpage for ftruncate:
> [T]he POSIX standard allows two behaviours for ftruncate
> when length exceeds the file length [...]: either returning an
> error, or
> extending the file.
> So, if that is to be trusted, it is not legal by POSIX to *silently*
> not extend the file.

On a Solaris system, the ftruncate man page says:

     truncate, ftruncate - set a file to a specified length

     The truncate() function causes the regular file named by
     path to have a size equal to length bytes.

     If the file previously was larger than length, the extra
     data is discarded. If the file was previously shorter than
     length, its size is increased, and the extended area appears
     as if it were zero-filled.

So, the sense is not of "truncating" (shortening) per se, but of fixing
a new length, whether that length is longer or shorter.

I guess we could try to track down the ftruncate behavior on the systems
in question, but (IMHO) this doesn't feel like the correct explanation.