Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] OMPI 1.3 - PERUSE peruse_comm_spec_t peer Negative Value
From: Kiril Dichev (dichev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-22 20:45:45

Hi Samuel,

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 18:18:54 -0600 (MDT)
  "Samuel K. Gutierrez" <samuel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm writing a simple profiling library which utilizes
>PERUSE. My callback

So am I :)

> function counts communication events (see example code
>below). I noticed
> that in OMPI v1.3 spec->peer is sometimes a negative
>value (OMPI v1.2.6
> did not exhibit this behavior). I added some boundary
>checks, but it
> seems as if this is a bug? I hope I'm not missing
>something...

It took me quite some time to reproduce the error - I also
got peer value "-1" for the Peruse peruse_comm_spec_t
struct. I only managed to reproduce this with
communication of a process with itself, which is an
unusual scenario. Anyway, for all the tests I did, the
error happened only when:

-a process communicates with itself
-the MPI receive call is made
-the Peruse event "PERUSE_COMM_MSG_REMOVE_FROM_UNEX_Q" is
triggered

The file ompi/mca/pml/ob1/pml_ob1_recvreq.c seems to be
the place where the above event is called with a wrong
value of the peer attribute.

I will let you know if I find something.

Best regards,
Kiril