Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Meta Question -- Open MPI: Is it a dessert toppingor is it a floor wax?
From: Brian W. Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-12 14:16:37

I'm going to stay out of the debate about whether Andy correctly
characterized the two points you brought up as a distributed OS or not.

Sandia's position on these two points remains the same as I previously
stated when the question was distributed OS or not. The primary goal of
the Open MPI project was and should remain to be the best MPI project
available. Low-cost items to support different run-times or different
non-MPI communication contexts are worth the work. But high-cost items
should be avoided, as they degrade our ability to provide the best MPI
project available (of course, others, including OMPI developers, can take
the source and do what they wish outside the primary development tree).

High performance is a concern, but so is code maintainability. If it
takes twices as long to implement feature A because I have to worry about
it's impact not only on MPI, but also on projects X, Y, Z, as an MPI
developer, I've lost something important.

Brian