Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Meta Question -- Open MPI: Is it a dessert topping or is it a floor wax?
From: Terry Dontje (Terry.Dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-12 09:01:33

Sun's participation in this community was to obtain a stable and
performant MPI implementation that had some research work done on the
side to improve those goals and the introduction of new features. We
don't have problems with others using and improving on the OMPI code
base but we need to make sure such usage doesn't detract from our
primary goal of performant MPI implementation.

However, changes to the OMPI code base to allow it to morph or even
support a distributed OS does cause for some concern. That is are we
opening the door to having more interfaces to support? If so is this
wise in the fact that it seems to me we have a hard enough time trying
to focus on the MPI items? Not to mention this definitely starts
detracting from the original goals.

--td