Subject: [OMPI devel] Meta Question -- Open MPI: Is it a dessert topping or is it a floor wax?
From: Andrew Lumsdaine (lums_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-11 13:46:09

Hi all -- There is a meta question that I think is underlying some of
the discussion about what to do with BTLs etc. Namely, is Open MPI an
MPI implementation with a portable run time system -- or is it a
distributed OS with an MPI interface? It seems like some of the
changes being asked for (e.g., with the BTLs) reflect the latter --
but perhaps not everyone shares that view and hence the impedance
mismatch.

I doubt this is the last time that tensions will come up because of
differing views on this question.

I suggest that we come to some kind of common understanding of the
question (and answer) and structure development and administration
accordingly.

Best Regards,
Andrew Lumsdaine