Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: move BTLs out of ompi into separate layer
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-09 16:52:28

Random points in no particular order (Rainer please correct me if I'm
making bad assumptions):

- I believe that ORNL is proposing to do this work on a separate
branch (this is what we have discussed for some time now, and we
discussed this deeply in Louisville). The RFC text doesn't
specifically say, but I would be very surprised if this stuff is
planned to come back to the trunk in the near future -- as we have all
agreed, it's not done yet.

- I believe that the timeout field in RFC's is a limit for non-
responsiveness -- it is mainly intended to prevent people from
ignoring / not responding to RFCs. I do not believe that Rainer was
using that date as a "that's when I'm bringing it all back to the
trunk." Indeed, he specifically called out the 1.5 series as a target
for this work.

- I also believe that Rainer is using this RFC as a means to get
preliminary review of the work that has been done on the branch so
far. He has provided a script that shows what they plan to do, how
the code will be laid out, etc. There are still some important core
issues to be solved -- and, like Brian, I want to see how they'll get
solved before being happy (we have strong precedent for this
requirement) -- but I think all that Rainer was saying in his RFC was
"here's where we are so far; can people review and see if they hate it?"

- It was made abundantly clear in the Louisville meeting that ORTE has
no short-term plans for using the ONET layer (probably no long-term
plans, either, but hey -- never say "never" :-) ). The design of ONET
is such that other RTE's *could* use ONET if they want (e.g., STCI
will), but it is not a requirement for the underlying RTE to use
ONET. We agreed in Louisville that ORTE will provide sufficient stubs
and hooks (all probably effectively no-ops) so that ONET can compile
against it in the default OMPI configuration; other RTEs that want to
do more meaningful stuff will need to provide more meaningful
implementations of the stubs and hooks.

- Hopefully the teleconference time tomorrow works out for Rich (his
communications were unclear on this point). Otherwise, postponing the
admin discussion until April seems problematic.

Cisco Systems