Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: eliminating "descriptor" argument from sendi function
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-21 02:11:02

What: Eliminate the "descriptor" argument from sendi functions.

Why: The only thing this argument is used for is so that the sendi
function can allocate a descriptor in the event that the "send" cannot
complete. But, in that case, the sendi reverts to the PML, where there
is already code to allocate a descriptor. So, each sendi function (in
each BTL that has a sendi function) must have code that is already in
the PML anyhow. This is unnecessary extra coding and not clean design.

Where: In each BTL that has a sendi function (only three, and there are
not all used) and in the function prototype and at the PML calling site.

When: I'd like to incorporate this in the shared-memory latency work
I'm doing that we're targetting for 1.3.x.

Timeout: Feb 27.