Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] workspace management question
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-19 17:06:00

Ralph Castain wrote:

> I think you are all over-engineering what is in truth a very, very
> simple procedure

Yes, guilty as charged.

> I do dozens of times a day...

Aha! Therein lies the difference. I haven't even done this a dozen
times in my lifetime.

> and can best be "discovered" by simply doing "hg help" or looking at
> their great documentation for svn users. ;-)
>
> "svn add" takes as arguments the files that need to be added. If you
> do an "svn st", you will see those identified with a '?' at the
> beginning of the line. I generally do this whenever I add new files
> to the svn/hg repo (as opposed to waiting until I'm about to commit
> back to the main OMPI repo) just because it is easier to keep track
> of things that way.

Okay, I changed it again! Hopefully, the churn rate is starting to subside.

> Likewise, you will need to do an "svn del" to delete any files that
> hg removed. In this case, when you do "svn st", the files will be
> marked with a '!' at the beginning of the line.
>
> Unlike hg, svn does its ignore properties on a per-directory basis.
> These properties tell svn "ignore these files" so it (a) doesn't show
> them when you do a status (i.e., "svn st"), and (b) doesn't track
> them or attempt to add them to the repository. We ask that everyone
> set the properties when they create a new directory to keep things
> clean - you can look at a similar directory to see what should be
> included.
>
> To edit properties, do "svn pe svn:ignore <directory>".

I'm inclined not to talk about this. The original setup instructions
set some ignore stuff up. Thereafter, if people stick to the usual
svn/hg commands, no further ignore directives have to be modified. (I'm
assuming here.) If someone wants to get fancy, let them blaze their own
trail.