Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] workspace management question
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-19 10:16:46

Terry Dontje wrote:

> Ralph Castain wrote:

>>> I was looking at the added stuff and it looks to me that the steps
>>> are missing doing an "hg up" on the SVN/HG workspace before doing
>>> the svn up. Am I missing something here?
>>
>> No - the doc is missing that step, but you should do it (or at least,
>> I always do, and it "works for me").
>
> Ok, I'll add it then.

First of all, thanks for reviewing the content. (I guess Jeff was just
dazzled by my brilliant diagram!)

But, I'd like to understand this better. Jeff's e-mail above has an "hg
up" before the "svn up". But, I was trying to organize the steps in
terms of stuff that propagates "from left to right" (from OMPI central
repository out to HG clones) and stuff that propagates "from right to
left" (from HG clones back to central repository). Changes could be
happening anywhere along the way (people putting code back to central
repository or combo workspaces while you're doing development work in a
clone), and so changes have to be propagated in both directions. Merges
could happen at different points.

Anyhow, I had an "hg up", but it's sitting on the right-to-left trail.
It's step #2 on the return trail. It's at the bottom middle of the
diagram. Isn't this sufficient? Doesn't "svn up" bring updates from
the central repository to the combo workspace, while "hg up" brings the
changes from the clones into the combo? So, in the "left/right"
organization, they belong to different directions.