Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] [OMPI svn-full] svn:open-mpi r20568
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-17 14:43:30

On Feb 17, 2009, at 2:05 PM, George Bosilca wrote:

> I can confirm it at least on MAC OS X and Linux. Based on IEEE Std
> 1003.1-2008, if the argument of the free function is null, no action
> should occur. So I guess most POSIX compliant environments support
> the NULL argument.

Sounds good. Terry just confirmed for me that it's also true for all
versions of Solaris.

It's amusing, though -- this check has been in the OMPI code base
literally since the very beginning, and this is the first notable time
it has been tripped. Should we leave it in there (and leave in my
libevent change)? I.e., free(NULL) may be harmless, but it may
signify a bug.

Cisco Systems