Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] possible bugs and unexpected values in returned errors classes
From: Lisandro Dalcin (dalcinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-16 09:14:07

Just found something new to comment after diving into the actual sources

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2009, at 8:24 AM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
>> 1) When passing MPI_COMM_NULL, MPI_Comm_get_errhandler() fails with
>> MPI_ERR_ARG. I would expect MPI_ERR_COMM.
> I don't have a strong feeling on this one; I think you could probably argue
> either way. That being said, we haven't paid too close attention to the
> error values that we return. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much
> standardization between different MPI implementations, unless they share a
> common code ancestry.

After running my testsuite again and next looking at
"ompi/mpi/c/comm_set_errhandler.c", I noticed that
MPI_Comm_set_errhandler() do return MPI_ERR_COMM when invalid
communicators are passed. IMHO, for the sake of consistency, you
should fix MPI_Comm_get_errhandler() to behave the same as the setter.
Would this rationale be enough?

Lisandro Dalcín
Tel/Fax: +54-(0)342-451.1594