Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Eliminate ompi/class/ompi_[circular_buffer_]fifo.h
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-12 12:24:02

This should probably include the disclaimer that we talked about this
extensively yesterday at the sm/btl meeting after the MPI Forum
meeting in San Jose.

Eugene has been working on new sm stuff (as he has posted), and we had
a very productive meeting yesterday discussing what he has done and
how to get it all into the trunk. Have a look at his slides at the
bottom of this wiki page:

     https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/Feb09Meetingsjc

Eugene will be replacing the current sm btl with a new one that uses a
single queue and various other improvements. Hence, the current
ompi_*fifo.h files will no longer be necessary. Additionally, we
resolved the "abstraction break" issues that were discussed here on
the list a little while ago -- we think all the improvements can be
done in the current architecture without disrupting the abstraction
barriers. This RFC is one step in the process; eliminate some no-
longer-necessary kruft.

On Feb 12, 2009, at 8:53 AM, Eugene Loh wrote:

> RFC: Eliminate ompi/class/ompi_[circular_buffer_]fifo.h
>
> WHAT: Eliminate those two include files.
>
> WHY: These include files are only used by the sm BTL. They
> are not generally usable. Further, the sm BTL will soon no
> longer use them. The current FIFOs support only a single sender
> each and we want multiple senders to be able to share a common
> FIFO. The current FIFOs also can grow without bound, which is
> complicated support that we don't think we need.
>
> WHERE: Two include files: ompi/class/ompi_[circular_buffer_]fifo.h
>
> WHEN: "Immediately". Intended for 1.3.x.
>
> TIMEOUT: February 20, 2009.

Cisco Systems