Subject: [OMPI devel] possible bugs and unexpected values in returned errors classes
From: Lisandro Dalcin (dalcinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-11 11:24:12

Below a list of stuff that I've got by running mpi4py testsuite. Never
reported them before just because some of them are not actually
errors, but anyway, I want to raise the discussion.

- Likely bugs (regarding my interpretation of the MPI standard)

1) When passing MPI_REQUEST_NULL, MPI_Request_free() DO NOT fail.

2) When passing MPI_REQUEST_NULL, MPI_Cancel() DO NOT fail.

3) When passing MPI_REQUEST_NULL, MPI_Request_get_status() DO NOT fail.

4) When passing MPI_WIN_NULL, MPI_Win_get_errhandler() and
MPI_Win_set_errhandler() DO NOT fail.

- Unexpected errors classes (at least for me)

1) When passing MPI_COMM_NULL, MPI_Comm_get_errhandler() fails with
MPI_ERR_ARG. I would expect MPI_ERR_COMM.

2) MPI_Type_free() fails with MPI_ERR_INTERN when passing predefined
datatypes like MPI_INT or MPI_FLOAT. I would expect MPI_ERR_TYPE.

- Controversial (I'm even fine with the current behavior)

1) MPI_Info_get_nthkey(info, n) returns MPI_ERR_INFO_KEY when "n" is
larger that the number of keys. Perhaps MPI_ERR_ARG would be more
appropriate? A possible rationale would be that the error is not
related to the contents of a 'key' string, but an out of range value
for "n".

That's all. Sorry for being so pedantic :-) and not offering help for
the patches, but I'm really busy.

Lisandro Dalcín
Tel/Fax: +54-(0)342-451.1594