Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Move of ompi_bitmap_t
From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-30 15:11:16

So once again, I bring up my objection of this entire line of moving
until such time as the entire process is properly mapped out. I
believe it's premature to being moving around code in preparation for
a move that hasn't been proven viable yet. Until there is concrete
evidence that such a move is possible, won't degrade application
performance, and does not make the code totally unmaintainable, I
believe that any related code changes should not be brought into the
trunk.

Brian

On Jan 30, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Rainer Keller wrote:

> On behalf of Laurent Broto
>
> RFC: Move of ompi_bitmap_t
>
> WHAT: Move ompi_bitmap_t into opal or onet-layer
>
> WHY: Remove dependency on ompi-layer.
>
> WHERE: ompi/class
>
> WHEN: Open MPI-1.4
>
> TIMEOUT: February 3, 2009.
>
> -------------------------------------
> Details:
> WHY:
> The ompi_bitmap_t is being used in various places within opal/orte/
> ompi. With
> the proposed splitting of BTLs into a separate library, we are
> currently
> investigating several of the differences between ompi/class/* and
> opal/class/*
>
> One of the items is the ompi_bitmap_t which is quite similar to the
> opal_bitmap_t.
> The question is, whether we can remove favoring a solution just in
> opal.
>
> WHAT:
> The data structures in the opal-version are the same,
> so is the interface,
> the implementation is *almost* the same....
>
> The difference is the Fortran handles ;-]!
>
> Maybe we're missing something but could we have a discussion, on why
> Fortran
> sizes are playing a role here, and if this is a hard requirement,
> how we could
> settle that into that current interface (possibly without a notion
> of Fortran,
> but rather, set some upper limit that the bitmap may grow to?)
>
> With best regards,
> Laurent and Rainer
> Rainer Keller, PhD Tel: (865) 241-6293
> Oak Ridge National Lab Fax: (865) 241-4811
> PO Box 2008 MS 6164 Email: keller_at_[hidden]
> Oak Ridge, TN 37831-2008 AIM/Skype: rusraink

   Brian Barrett
   Open MPI developer
   http://www.open-mpi.org/