Subject: [OMPI devel] Change of API in mpool
From: Rainer Keller (keller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-30 14:29:58

Send yet again...

RFC: Change of API in mpool

WHAT: Remove dependency on ompi_info_t in mca_mpool_base_alloc

WHY: To be able to move mpool out of the ompi-layer.

WHERE: Changes just in the mpool and in ompi/mpi/c/alloc_mem.c

WHEN: Open MPI-1.4

TIMEOUT: February 3, 2009.

-------------------------------------
Details:
WHY:
With the proposed move of the BTL framework out of the ompi-layer, we
need to move/copy a few dependant class- and other functionality with it
(omp_free_list, ompi_bitmap, ompi_rb_tree, common, mpool, allocator,
rcache).

The only real dependency problem, visible right now, that requires a
change is the function mca_mpool_base_alloc, which requires ompi_info_t.

WHAT:
In order to make mca_mpool_base_alloc oblivious of MPI, we'd propose
passing all relevant info as opal_list_t -- and prepare this by the only
caller ompi/mpi/c/alloc_mem.c, which only copies ("mpool",value)-pairs
into a list (if there are any).

The patchlet can be applied to trunk / or the branch koenig-btl, however,
I left out the required (but boring) svn mv and rename of ompi->onet.

Has been tested with the supplied test-program, produces the expected
results.

Any comments are welcome.

CU,
Rainer

Rainer Keller, PhD                  Tel: (865) 241-6293
Oak Ridge National Lab          Fax: (865) 241-4811
PO Box 2008 MS 6164           Email: keller_at_[hidden]
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-2008    AIM/Skype: rusraink