Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: sm Latency
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-21 01:22:50

Brian Barrett wrote:

> I unfortunately don't have time to look in depth at the patch. But
> my concern is that currently (today, not at some made up time in the
> future, maybe), we use the BTLs for more than just MPI point-to-
> point. The rdma one-sided component (which was added for 1.3 and
> hopefully will be the default for 1.4) sends messages directly over
> the btls. It would be interesting to know how that is handled.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Does it help to point out that existing BTL routines don't change? The
existing sendi is just a function that, if available, can be used, where
appropriate, to send "immediately". Similarly for the proposed recvi.
No existing BTL functionality is removed. Just new, optional functions
added for whoever wants to (and can) use them.