Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] OpenMPI question
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-14 12:25:28

To followup for the web archives -- we discussed this more off-list.
AFAIK, compiling Open MPI -- including its memory registration cache
-- works fine in 32 bit mode, even on 64 bit platforms (there was some
confusion between virtual and physical memory addresses and who uses
what [OMPI *only* sees virtual memory addresses because it's user-
space code]).

On Jan 13, 2009, at 2:48 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2009, at 7:37 AM, Alex A. Granovsky wrote:
>
>> Am I correct assuming that OpenMPI memory registration/cache module
>> is completely broken by design on any 32-bit system allowing
>> physical address space larger than 4 GB, and especially when
>> compiled for 32-bit under 64-bit OS (e.g., Linux)?
>

> I'm not sure what you mean -- OMPI 32 bit builds on a 64 bit system
> should be ok...? Have you found a problem?
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems