Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] 1.3 PML default choice
From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-13 20:27:32

This topic was raised on the mailing list quite a few times. There is
a major difference between the PSM and the MX support. For PSM there
is just an MTL, which makes everything a lot simpler. The problem with
MX is that we have an MTL and a BTL. In order to figure out which one
to use, we have to call the init function and this function initialize
MX. The MTL use the default values for this, while the BTL give some
hints to the MX library (about how to behave based on the support
level we want, i.e. such as who will deal with shared memory or self
communications). As there can be only one MX initialization, as the
MTL initialize first, the BTL will always get a wrongly initialized MX
library (which can generate some performance problems).

What Brian describe is the best compromise we manage to find few
months ago. If you want to get the MX CM to run, you will have to
clearly specify on the command line --mca pml cm. All other MTL will
have the behavior described on the README.

   george.