Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] OpenMPI Performance Problem with Open|SpeedShop
From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-12 14:08:28

There might be one reason to slowdown the application quite a bit. If
the fact that you're using timer interact with the libevent (the
library we're using to internally manage any kind of events), then we
might end-up in the situation where we call the poll for every
iteration in the event library. And this is really expensive.

A quick way to figure out if this is that case is to run Open MPI
without support for shared memory (--mca btl ^sm). This way we will
call poll on a regular basis anyway, and if there is no difference
between a normal run and a OSS one, we know at least where to start
looking ...

   george.