Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Thread/Process affinity for Mac OS X
From: Tim Mattox (timattox_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-12 11:47:29

Hi Ralph,
The Mac OS X affinity stuff doesn't work like Linux, etc.
The document I pointed to is sparse in details, but basically
they didn't leave a way for unrelated processes to affect
how they are scheduled relative to each other. Only
processes/threads that have a fork/thread-spawn ancestor
can cooperate/coordinate on who runs where.

They have this "affinity namespace" thing that would need to be inherited
from a common ancestor, so that then each rank could specify
within that namespace which other threads it should/should-not
share L2 cache's with. Its funky, and not at all like how we
currently do affinity. That was why I said this would
be "quite a bit of work". It is probably not worth the effort,
unless Apple wanted to contribute directly.