Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Fwd: [OMPI users] Onesided + derived datatypes
From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-11 16:31:58

Brian,

You're right, the datatype is being too cautious with the boundaries
when detecting the overlap. There is no good solution to detect the
overlap except parsing the whole memory layout to check the status of
every predefined type. As one can imagine this is a very expensive
operation. This is reason I preferred to use the true extent and the
size of the data to try to detect the overlap. This approach is a lot
faster, but has a poor accuracy.

The best solution I can think of in short term is to remove completely
the overlap check. This will have absolutely no impact on the way we
pack the data, but can lead to unexpected results when we unpack and
the data overlap. But I guess this can be considered as a user error,
as the MPI standard clearly state that the result of such an operation
is ... unexpected.

   george.