Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Forwarding SIGTSTP and SIGCONT
From: Josh Hursey (jjhursey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-11 15:19:10

I would expect that you will hit problems with timeouts throughout the
codebase as Jeff mentioned, particularly with network connections.
Having a 'prepare to suspend' signal followed by a 'suspend now'
signal might work since it should provide enough of a window to ready
the application for the suspension.

I think the first step is to try it, being sure to let the process
stay suspended for a considerable amount of time (15 min to an hour at
least) and see what effects this has. I would expect a series of
errors, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure.

If there are errors then looking at the internal notification stuff
that the C/R mechanism uses would be a good place to start since it
handles these types of issues for a checkpoint operation.

-- Josh