Subject: [OMPI devel] BTL move - the notion
From: Richard Graham (rlgraham_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-04 20:00:16

Let me start the e-mail conversation, and see how far we get.

Goal: The goal several of us have is to be able to use the btl¹s outside of
the MPI layer in Open MPI. The layer itself is generic, w/o specific
knowledge of Upper Level Protocols, so is well suited for this sort of use.

Technical Approach: What we have suggested is to start the process with the
Open MPI code base, and make it independent of the mpi-layer (which it is
now), and the run-time layer.

Before we get into any specific technical details,
the first question I have is are people totally opposed to the notion of
making the btl¹s independent of MPI and the run-time ?
This does not mean that it can¹t be used by it, but that there are well
defined abstraction layers, i.e., are people against the goal in the first
place ?

What are alternative suggestions to the technical approach ?

One suggestion has been to branch and patch. To me this is a long-term
maintenance nightmare.

What are peoples thoughts here ?

Rich