Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] make dependency problem?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-02 07:58:49

Weird -- the exact opposite happens for me (if I touch btl.h, it
automatically rebuilds oodles of stuff, to include bml_r2.c).

I have dim recollections of Automake disabling dependency tracking by
default on Solaris+Solaris compilers (I don't remember the exact issue
-- perhaps it was before AM supported the dependency format of the
Solaris compilers...?). Have you tried configuring with --enable-
dependency-tracking?

On Nov 29, 2008, at 6:45 PM, Eugene Loh wrote:

> I was playing with OMPI and I noticed that if I modified btl.h,
> bml_r2.c did not automatically get rebuilt, even though it includes
> btl.h. This caused me all sorts of unnecessary debugging troubles.
> In the end, just touching bml_r2.c was enough... it caused bml_r2.c
> to be recompiled and to see the changes in btl.h.
>
> So, question:
>
> Given that bml_rc.2 includes btl.h, wouldn't the proper make
> dependencies cause bml_rc.c to be recompiled whenever btl.h is
> touched?
>
> Again, it appears that this is not happening and that strikes me as
> a problem -- for someone out there to fix. :^)

Cisco Systems