Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: Add SunStudio/Libtool helper script for post-configure
From: Terry Dontje (Terry.Dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-19 13:47:16

Ethan Mallove wrote:
> On Wed, Nov/19/2008 10:05:55AM, George Bosilca wrote:
>
>> We're still using STL ? I was pretty much sure that we removed this
>> dependency a while ago ?
>>

> Open MPI is now set up to use either of Solaris's two versions of STL. The
> problem is that if libtool links in libCrun/libCstd, then bad things happen if
> the user code contains code for the other STL version. (Not sure if I got that
> 100% right.) Dan overhauled Open MPI's handling of STL a while ago (r17448,
> r17418, r17409, ...).
>
> -Ethan

I think what Ethan is trying to say is that even though OMPI does not
require libCrun/libCstd libtool insists on adding one of them. If I
recall this thread correctly I think Ralf suggested we try a later
version of autotools to see if this still exists.

--td
>> george.
>>
>> On Nov 19, 2008, at 09:11 , Ethan Mallove wrote:

>>> WHAT: Add patch-libtool-for-sun-studio.pl script

>>> WHY:
>>>
>>> There are a couple issues with SunStudio and Libtool:
>>>
>>> 1. The SunStudio libCrun/libCstd C++ libs get linked into Open MPI by
>>> libtool, which can lead to STL incompatibilities on Solaris
>>> 2. Libtool uses the wrong linker flags for C++ and Fortran (on Linux
>>> Sun
>>> Studio)
>>>
>>> Benefits of the fix:
>>>
>>> 1. Anyone can easily build Open MPI using SunStudio
>>> 2. Nightly MTT Linux/SunStudio runs will pass
>>> 3. We can remove (most) of the Open MPI SunStudio building FAQ: