Subject: [OMPI devel] RFC: Add SunStudio/Libtool helper script for post-configure
From: Ethan Mallove (ethan.mallove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-19 10:11:23

WHAT: Add patch-libtool-for-sun-studio.pl script

WHY:

There are a couple issues with SunStudio and Libtool:

    1. The SunStudio libCrun/libCstd C++ libs get linked into Open MPI by
       libtool, which can lead to STL incompatibilities on Solaris
    2. Libtool uses the wrong linker flags for C++ and Fortran (on Linux Sun
       Studio)

Benefits of the fix:

    1. Anyone can easily build Open MPI using SunStudio
    2. Nightly MTT Linux/SunStudio runs will pass
    3. We can remove (most) of the Open MPI SunStudio building FAQ:
       http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-sun-compilers

WHERE: See attached patch; config/patch-libtool-for-sun-studio.pl and
configure.ac

WHEN: Soon

TIMEOUT: Later

One concern is that there's no precedent in Open MPI for patching libtool
*after* configure (we only patch libtool beforehand in autogen.sh). The
problem is that this particular libtool "patch" should only be used in the
case of Sun Studio which is not known until configure-time, and there does
not seem to be a generic patch that we could apply before configure.

-Ethan