Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: libopen-rte --> libompi-rte
From: Terry Dontje (Terry.Dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-07 06:38:42

I do not see the real value in doing this name change. The name "OMPI
Run Time Environment" and libopen_rte.so are not that far from each
other. Changing a bunch of Makefile.am's at this point in the game for
what I consider a minor cosmetic difference just makes little sense to me.

On the technical side what I hate about this is Sun is about to release
its second distribution base on 1.3. If the below change goes through
this guarrantees that the next CT release will be incompatible with
CT8.1. Now we can go through the discussion of whether such a
compatibility will exist aside from this change but it would be nice to
try and stabilize the items we have.

I have very little confidence that if we change the library name to
libompi_rte.so that at the end of 1.4 we decide it should be named
something else. I also wonder if we do change the rte library if we
should also change the name of libopen_pal.so.

Anyways, Sun votes no on this rfe.

--td