Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] RFC: libopen-rte --> libompi-rte
From: Ralf Wildenhues (Ralf.Wildenhues_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-06 14:58:25

* Jeff Squyres wrote on Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 08:48:44PM CET:
> On Nov 6, 2008, at 2:42 PM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
>> Hmm, OpenMPI seems not to use versioning for its shared libraries.
>
> That was on the to-do list for this release, but it just didn't happen.
> :-\

Oh well. When you start doing it, please coordinate with distributors;
it's not likely, but some of them may have actually packaged OpenMPI
with versioning, including (one then hopes!) adjusting versions as
needed between releases. You might want to start out with numbers
upward of that then.

(I've seen Debian do this before. AFAIK they haven't for OpenMPI,
though.)

>> Do you just declare each release API+ABI-incompatible to each other
>> release?
>
> MPI API is compatible across releases; it hasn't changed. We have never
> [yet] claimed ABI compatible across releases -- we may still do this
> someday.

FWIW, this task looks quite a bit easier to me than, say, defining an
ABI valid for several MPI implementations.

Cheers,
Ralf