Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Comm_spawn limits
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-22 14:59:58

I can't swear to this because I haven't fully grokked it yet, but I
believe the answer is:

1. if child jobs have completed, it won't hurt. I think the various
subsystem cleanup their bookkeeping when a job completes, so we could
possibly reuse the number. Might be some race conditions we would have
to resolve.

2. if child jobs haven't completed (which is the situation this
particular user was attempting), then we would have a problem with
jobid confusion. Once we get the procs launched, though, I'm not sure
how much of a problem there is - would have to investigate. Could
cause some bookkeeping problems for job completion.

Interesting possibility, though...consider it another option for now.