Subject: [OMPI devel] Component open
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-22 13:30:38

I've been digging a little into optimization and found something that
seems counterintuitive in the way OMPI is handling components.
Specifically, if I specify a component I want used for a framework,
OMPI still does a component load and open on every component in the
framework - it only uses my specification during "select".

Thus, the cmd line

mpirun -mca routed linear

still results in the loading and opening of the direct and binomial
components - even though we have directed the framework not to use them.

This causes us to waste memory when there is no possibility of a
different component being selected. Is there a reason why "open" isn't
using the mca params to guide the components it is loading?

Ralph