Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Should visibility and memchecker abort configure?
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-03 08:52:42

On Oct 3, 2008, at 1:59 AM, Aurélien Bouteiller wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> 1. No. Having visibility turned off without knowing it is the best
> way for us to commit bugs in the trunk without noticing, I mean
> before somebody else get the leg caught in the "not-compiling-trunk
> trap". I had more of my share of responsibility for that kind of
> problems in the past, that exactly rooted in visibility issues. I
> must say that it is painful enough that some compilers will just
> silently ignore visibility settings without adding the configure to
> the chain of guys who just do whatever they want regardless of the
> requested flags. If I can't have visibility, I want to know.
> Especially in debug mode.

Not sure you understood my proposal. I didn't say you wouldn't know
that visibility was not supported - in fact, I suggested a large
blaring warning. I just don't believe it should cause the entire build
to abort. The fact is that compilers such as PGI simply don't support
it, so whether we believe it is important or not, you are not going to
get visibility warnings. Once you build, you'll never again see a
warning of that fact, so it isn't clear to me what we accomplish by
aborting a configure as opposed to blasting out a warning.

> 2. If Valgrind is not available and this feature requires valgrind,
> it is reasonable to disable it. Anyway, this would not lead to
> include silent bugs in the trunk if it gets disabled "silently".
> (are you sure though ? I used to enable this on my mac, where there
> is of course no valid valgrind installed, and it compiled just fine).

I verified this. The problem is that there is a valgrind installed -
however, it doesn't meet the release criterion. In the case of the
Mac, there is no valgrind at all - the configure script seems happy
with that scenario.

I suspect we could consider this portion of the problem a "bug"?