Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Should visibility and memchecker abort configure?
From: Aurélien Bouteiller (bouteill_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-03 03:59:58

Hi Ralph,

1. No. Having visibility turned off without knowing it is the best way
for us to commit bugs in the trunk without noticing, I mean before
somebody else get the leg caught in the "not-compiling-trunk trap". I
had more of my share of responsibility for that kind of problems in
the past, that exactly rooted in visibility issues. I must say that it
is painful enough that some compilers will just silently ignore
visibility settings without adding the configure to the chain of guys
who just do whatever they want regardless of the requested flags. If I
can't have visibility, I want to know. Especially in debug mode.

2. If Valgrind is not available and this feature requires valgrind, it
is reasonable to disable it. Anyway, this would not lead to include
silent bugs in the trunk if it gets disabled "silently". (are you sure
though ? I used to enable this on my mac, where there is of course no
valid valgrind installed, and it compiled just fine).

Aurelien