Subject: [OMPI devel] IOF redesign: cmd line options
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-28 08:51:55

The revised IOF design calls for several new cmd line options:

1. specify which procs are to receive stdin. The options that were to
be supported are: all procs, a specific proc, or no procs. The default
will be rank=0 only. All procs not included will have their stdin tied
to /dev/null - which means a debugger could not attach to the stdin at
a later time.

2. specify which stdxxx file descriptors you want left open on your
procs. Our defaults are to leave stdout/stderr/stddiag open on all
procs. This option would allow the user to specify that we tie any or
all of these to /dev/null

3. tag output with [job,rank] on every line. I have currently defined
this option to be --tag-output. It is "off" by default, though at
least one user has questioned that it should be "on" by default.

Does anyone have suggestions as to the naming of these cmd line
options, their behavior, and/or their default settings? Any additional
requests?

Thanks
Ralph