Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] TRUNK error ( MAN page ) since r19120
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-04 11:01:05

Thanks Ralf!

I've committed the first part of your fix; I'm testing the 2nd part
right now... (also need a "-" in the mkdir in case the directory
already exists. I should be able to commit shortly; just want to make
sure it works first.

FWIW, I did test the man page stuff with a clean SVN checkout first,
but I didn't check it with a clean checkout *and* a VPATH build.
Sorry, folks.

On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> * Tim Mattox wrote on Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 03:11:20PM CEST:
>> As this thread is making clear, not everyone saw and/or heeded the
>> note that we were upgrading the GNU autotools used for building
>> Open MPI's
>> nightly tarballs. See http://www.open-mpi.org/svn/building.php the
>> the version
>> matrix. For your reference, the trunk & 1.3 nightlies are being
>> built
>> with these versions, and I recommend everyone upgrade to these:
>
> This has not much to do with autotools versions, but everything
> with having a build tree separate from the source tree or not.
>
> The proper fix is to change several references of $(top_srcdir) to
> $(top_builddir), to insert into each rule in
> ompi_trunk/Makefile.man-page-rules a command like
> @$(mkdir_p) `dirname $@`
>
> to have the corresponding directory created in advance.
> Alternatively,
> you can make files depend on a directory stamp file whose rule creates
> the corresponding directory (depending on the directory itself is not
> portable).
>
> Also, I see in ompi/tools/*/Makefile.am several instances of
> cd SOME_DIR ; make FOO
>
> in makefile rules. Please fix them to be
> cd SOME_DIR && $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) FOO
>
> so that, if SOME_DIR does not exists, no rogue action is performed,
> also that parallel make works as advertised, and that make flags can
> be
> overridden conveniently.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf (who can fix this but then you will have to wait)

Cisco Systems