Subject: Re: [OMPI devel] Need v1.3 RM ruling (was: Help on building openmpi with "-Wl, --as-needed -Wl, --no-undefined")
From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-24 05:23:24

I tend to agree with Brian's comments, I would like to see this pushed
into the 1.3 branch asap. However, I'm concerned with the impact on
the code base of the required modifications as described on the TRAC
ticket and on the email thread.

I wonder if we cannot use the same technique that we use for improving
the build time, i.e. getting information from the Makefile.am in the
subdirs and adding it in the upper level Makefile.am. As an example
for the F77 build tree:
- if we create the following directories structure:
   -> ompi
      -> mpi
         -> f77
            -> global (this is new and will contain the 5 files
actually in the f77 base)
            -> profiling
- then we include in the ompi/Makefile.am: include mpi/f77/global/
Makefile.am
- and in the mpi/f77/global/Makefile.am we add the 5 C files in the
SOURCES.
- the compiling of the f77 bindings and profiling information will
then depend on the libmpi, as long as we enforce the buildinf of the
f77 library after the libmpi.so.

With this approach, all files related to f77 will stay in the f77
directory (and the same will apply for cxx and f90), and the required
modifications to the makefiles are minimal.

Auto* gurus would such a solution works ?

   Thanks,
     george.